Monday, May 6, 2013

Teaser Tuesday #1: Chasing Dirt Roads

I've decided I really need to post more often on my author blog. With that, I'm going to start doing Teaser Tuesday features where I share snippets of upcoming or past projects.:D

As many of you already know, I'm releasing CHASING DIRT ROADS early 2014, and what better time to start getting word out about it than now. Today's teaser is a brief excerpt from this one and I'm more than happy to share and I really look forward to when it releases because it's a special one to me. Hope you enjoy!


The house was the color of baby vomit.
You know, the puke-green pea color? There were even brown spots in some areas where the paint had chipped away.
My stomach churned at the sight. I frowned and turned toward my mom.

 
“Seriously? You’ve got to be kidding me.”

 
“Oh, come on, it’s not that bad. And it’s out of that nasty city.” She stood beside me, laughing at my sour face. At least she was sober. For now. The longest she’d ever gone without a drink was ten hours, and today’s move had pushed it to the limit of seven.

“Yeah, because living out in the middle of nowhere is so much safer for us,” I replied sarcastically before turning my back on her. Honestly, I didn’t even have to move. I’d had a decent enough job back in Sacramento, and I was eighteen now. I could have lived on my own just fine. I’d enjoyed it there. All of the constant moving around since I was thirteen was exhausting me. But sometimes I felt like she needed me more than she wanted to admit. The guilt I would feel if something happened to her would haunt me, no matter how dysfunctional our relationship could be. So when she moved, I moved with her. I only hoped she'd get her act together soon, because I definitely would not live in that household forever. I have needs and wants, desires and dreams.

I reached into the backseat of our old car—a big, brown Buick that I’d dubbed “the rolling turd”—and began pulling boxes out to carry in the house. At least it wouldn’t be out of place on the property. The moving truck with the furniture and larger items had come the day before, so the house was already mostly organized.

“You’re so melodramatic, Kenley. It’ll be fun!” Mom chirped, going around to the trunk to help with other boxes and bags.

That’s me: Melodramatic Kenley Brooks.
 
 
Look for a new Teaser Tuesday excerpt next week! :)
Thanks for dropping by!

With Love,
Pixie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy! Leave a comment! I'll reply back as often and to as many as I can. I love getting comments. Thanks for visiting! :)